Our Summer Vacation - Part 4 - Winter Quarters

8:32 AM Edit This 1 Comment »
Before we left Omaha we went to the Winter Quarters visitors center.  For those of you who don't know what it is...Winter Quarters is where many LDS people lived through a winter on their way to the Salt Lake Valley.  For their own safety, they left Nauvoo, IL during the winter months.  The built a settlement known as Winter Quarters (now in Omaha) where they stayed until they could finished their journey across the wilderness to Salt Lake.  It was a wonderful place to visit.  There were many replicas of things from their time including a cabin, ox and wagon, steamship the English Saints would have come to the Americas on, and much more.  Right across the street is the Winter Quarters cemetary and temple, both of which were extremely beautiful.
Statue at the Winter Quarters visitor center
In front of the log cabin replica.  They would have 2 families
(about 15 people) sharing one cabin.  Now I understand the term "cabin fever."
Replica of Salt Lake temple
Ox and wagon
Steamships from England
Kids testing a handcart
Winter Quarters temple
Cemetary at Winter Quarters

1 comments:

Connie said...

I am so excited to find you blog (connected to Cassie's) I loved these pictures and I hope you do go to Omaha. As soon as Bryan gets done with his masters degree we should be taking more trips to Indiana and it would be a great stop for us as well. miss you guys.