Our Summer Vacation - Part 5 - Nauvoo and Carthage
8:34 AM Edit This 3 Comments »
We spent a day going to Nauvoo and Carthage, IL where the Saints lived for several years. There was a lot of wonderful things that happened while they were in Illinois. I wasn't sure what to expect before we arrived. Part of me expected it to look exactly like it did back in the 1840s when the Saints lived there. The other part of me expected to just see a few historic building scattered between modern ones like you see in Salt Lake. I was surprised to see mostly the former. Nauvoo is now more of a two-part city...there is the historic area that looks like it did in the 1840s and then you drive up the hill and are greeted with a more modern small town. The most awesome part of the visit to Nauvoo was the feeling of awe when you realize you are walking the same roads as "Brother Joseph" did many years ago. Nauvoo was really beautiful and hopefully one day we will get to actually go to the temple. Visiting Carthage was a moving experience. I've always loved anything having to do with Church History, but being where the prophet was martryed was an experience I never thought I would have. Like usual (thanks to my mother) I cried when I felt the spirit dwelling there. I hope that someday I will get the chance to visit were the Savior walked and where he died 2000 years ago. I'm sure the spirit is even stronger there than it was in Nauvoo and Carthage.
Select pics from Nauvoo
Select pics from Nauvoo
Kids at the Vision statue in the visitors' center
Checking out the horses before going on the wagon ride around Nauvoo
Kids in front of one of the Sunstones on the Nauvoo temple
Junior trying out the bear races
Typeset for the printing press
Memorial wall of Saints who died crossing to Salt Lake
The Allens who died (don't know if any relation).
There weren't any Laws...maybe Laws are stronger. Ha Ha.
T and the kids on the banks of the Mississippi river
Cemetary where the Smith family members were buried
Room above the Red Brick Store where the Relief Society was organized
A few pictures from Carthage
Door to the room where the prisoners were held.
You can see two bullet holes one in the middle and the other at the edge.
The window on the left is where the Prophet Joseph Smith fell from
Joseph and Hyrum Smith

3 comments:
Looks like you guys had a great time. I love Navoo. Josh and I drove through there right after we got married on our way to Utah. There really is a strong spirit there.
I love Nauvoo - I'm so glad you guys got to go. And yes, you'll have to go back and go to the temple - it is beautiful! I haven't done Winter Quarters yet. Maybe when you guys live in Omaha we'll have to come visit. :)
Looks like a great vacation. We went to Nauvoo and other Church history sights when I was six, and I still remember making bricks and going to Carthage. So cool that your kids get this experience and will have memories that will last them a lifetime as they build their testimonies of Church history as well. Your kids are adorable and big.
-- Melissa
Post a Comment